Please click here to read the digital version of this letter.
17th December 2021
Thank you for all your support over the last few months. We have had a very productive and successful autumn term with many important events taking place. Children have returned back to their learning and vertical coaching groups, as well as being able to engage with a range of extra-curricular activities and enrichment opportunities. Please see just a few of the highlights identified below.
- Peace Day: Wednesday 1st December was our first ever Peace Day here at Carr Manor. This was an entire day dedicated to a singular focus, with altered lesson plans throughout the day, buffeted by two Coaching+ sessions. These sessions were linked to Jamie Peacock’s Be a Champion programme. There were sessions on the ‘four pillars’ of the programme: Positive Mindset, Good Sleep & Rest, Eating Healthily, and Physical Activity. This included a Joe Wicks workout in the Primary Phase, clubbercise and kin-ball in the Secondary Phase, and a guided meditation session in Coaching+. It was a successful day, and we are already looking forward to our next Peace Day which will be based around the environment.
- Year 9 Study School Showcase: The Year 9 cohort were able to go ahead with their ‘Study School Showcase’ on Monday 6th December, delivering demonstrations of their work to Year 8. There was a fantastic variety of work on show – food & textile work from the School of Industry, business proposals and advertising from the School of Digital Media, dance and dramatic performances from the School of the Creative Arts, and a variety of sporting and first aid drills from the School of Sport and Society.
- Thackray Museum of Medicine Trip: On Tuesday 7th December and Thursday 9th December, Year 11 History pupils visited the Thackray Museum of Medicine. They experienced a workshop about the gruesome history of surgery and investigated some of the most significant developments in medicine such as blood transfusions, x-rays, and germ theory. This was all linked to their GCSE studies, looking at Medicine in Britain.
- Santa’s Sleigh in the Primary Phase: The Primary Phase pupils have been enjoying the latest addition to the grounds – Santa’s sleigh stuck in the tree! They have been using the scene as inspiration for their work as part of progression in writing. It looks very effective, so thank you to those staff members who installed it.
- Basketball Fixtures: There have been a slew of basketball fixtures recently – the Year 10 and 11 boys team played their first ever games at Roundhay school, winning all three of their games emphatically. More recently, the Year 7 mixed team went to a tournament at Gateways, where they also came out on top – winning one game and drawing another.
- Meanwood Valley Farm Visit: Year 3 have recently visited the Meanwood Valley Urban Farm, learning about different soil types, rock types, and rummaging for worms to go into their handmade wormeries. The urban farm is a fantastic resource, and we are delighted to see the pupils enjoy access to it.
- Year 11 Pop Up Rewards: Year 11 were recently treated to a ‘pop-up’ rewards ceremony to celebrate their hard work leading up to their exams. This was an informal get-together where those invited were rewarded for working to achieve the best possible results for themselves to gain the required qualifications for their chosen destinations.
- Christmas Card Winners: We have held our annual ‘design a Christmas card’ competition, and three pupils have been selected as our winners, with the overall winner’s design being used as our official Christmas card which was sent out to our friends and colleagues.
- Bikeability: Pupils in year 6 and 7 have been doing their bikeability training recently, learning important skills and how to be safe on the road. Of course, the pupils have had fun along the way as well.
Progress Reports: Please discuss the enclosed progress report with your child and contact your child’s coach if you wish to clarify anything.
Year 8 Midterm Assessment Reports: If your child is in Year 8, please find attached your child’s Midterm Assessment Report for Year 8. This includes detailed information about your child’s attainment in the recent examinations and teacher assessments. It would be a useful process to discuss the strengths and areas for development highlighted by the report with your child. On the first page you will find a guide which explains how the grading system works. If you have any queries, please discuss these with your child’s Coach.
I hope you enjoy reading the enclosed Term Times, which includes just some of the highlights from the last half term. Please also view our website under the ‘what’s happening’ tab to see some of the events that have taken place this term.
Key Dates – Spring 1 Term
Tuesday 4th January – Lateral Flow Testing On-Site (11.00 – 3.00pm)
Wednesday 5th January – School will re-open for all year groups (R-Year 11), 8.30am (Year 6-11) & 8.45am (R–Year 5)
Friday 7th January – Year 2 Inspiration Day
Monday 10th January – Year 11 CamNat Sport Exam (8.45am), Year 11 Creative iMedia Exam (1.30pm) & Year 3 Inspiration Day
Wednesday 12th January – Year 6 Inspiration Day
Thursday 13th January – Year 1 & 5 Inspiration Day
Wednesday 19th January – Reception Inspiration Day
Monday 24th January – Year 4 Inspiration Day
w/c 7th February – Year 9 Exams
Wednesday 9th – Friday 11th February – Year 5 Residential to Robinwood
w/c 14th February – Year 11 Mock Exams
w/c 14th February – Meet Your Coach Week (R – Year 5)
Wednesday 16th February – Parent/Carer Consultation Evening (Year 7) & Meet Your Coach Day (Years 6 – 11)
Friday 18th February – School Closes for Half Term
Monday 28th February – School Opens
I hope that you and your families are able to have a peaceful and restful break. Thank you for your ongoing support.